How to make Herbed Chicken Parmesan : Recipe
Herbed Chicken Parmesan, also known as Chicken Parmigiana, is a classic Italian-American dish that features breaded and fried chicken cutlets topped with marinara sauce, melted cheese, and a sprinkle of herbs. It is typically served over pasta or as a sandwich. Here’s a simple recipe for making Herbed Chicken Parmesan at home:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups breadcrumbs (preferably Italian-style)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil or parsley leaves for garnish (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for frying
For the Herb Mix:
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- In a small bowl, mix together the herb mix ingredients.
- Place the chicken breasts between plastic wrap and pound them to an even thickness of about 1/2 inch.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Set up a breading station with three shallow plates. Place the flour in the first plate, beat the eggs in the second plate, and combine the breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan cheese, and 2 tablespoons of the herb mix in the third plate.
- Coat each chicken breast first in flour, then in beaten eggs, and finally in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing the breadcrumbs onto the chicken to adhere.
- Heat about 1/4 inch of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the breaded chicken breasts and cook for about 4-5 minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked through. Remove the chicken breasts from the skillet and place them on paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). In a baking dish, spread a thin layer of marinara sauce. Place the cooked chicken breasts on top of the sauce.
- Spoon a generous amount of marinara sauce over each chicken breast, and then sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Garnish with fresh basil or parsley leaves, if desired, and serve hot over pasta or as a sandwich.
Enjoy your delicious homemade Herbed Chicken Parmesan with its crispy breaded exterior, juicy chicken, flavorful marinara sauce, and melted cheese!